An authentic Portuguese cod dish that’s easy for the home chef to prepare
Cooking time: 1.5 Hrs
One of the stars on our daily menu! Bacalao or Cod fish is the most traditional seafood used in portuguese cooking. We love sharing this dish with guests at our restaurant!
- 1 Kg – Cod – frozen or dry/salted
- .5 Ltr. Olive Oil – extra virgin
- .01 Kg. Garlic – 4 cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- .01 Kg. Black Pepper – 2 Tbsp.
- .005 Kg. Thyme – small branch
- Use gloves while handling cod to avoid fish hands later!
- If using frozen cod, defrost the cod. If using dry cod, reconstitute the cod per instructions.
- Place the cod in a baking pan large enough to fit the cod. Cut the cod into pieces if necessary.
- Sprinkle with chopped garlic, bay leaf, black pepper, and thyme.
- Pour Olive Oil over the cod so that the cod is covered in oil.
- Bake on 375 degrees for 45 minutes, until the cod is fully cooked.
- Remove the Cod from the baking dish and place in a bowl. The cod will fall apart into pieces if cooked correctly.
- In a dish, add migas and then plate cod on the migas. Top with toasted corn bread crumbs if available. Enjoy!